Removing the skin and seeds from a tomato creates a smoother texture of the end dish.
Here is how to do it in 5 easy steps:
- Cut an X into the skin of the tomato. Try to avoid cutting into the flesh.
2. Bring a pot of water to boil. Drop the tomato into the boiling water.
3. Once the skin starts to separate or crack (just a few seconds), remove the tomato from the water with a slotted spoon. Be careful not to cook the tomato. The point is just to quickly heat the skin.
4. Place the tomato on a cutting board and peel the skin away and discard.
5. Use a small knife the cut the tomato into quarters. Remove the seeds with your fingers or cut out with the knife and discard. The remaining tomato flesh can be used as is or chopped coarsely.