Mallorredus alla campidanese (saffron semolina gnocchi with tomato sausage sauce) - Sardegna
Mallorredus all campidanese is a combination of chewy homemade durum wheat meal pasta infused with saffron and dressed with a tomato sausage sauce.
Author: Woo Wei-Duan
Recipe type: First Course (Primo)
- 1 onion, skin and ends removed and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, skin removed and finely chopped
- 30 mls extra-virgin olive oil
- 250 grams sausage (preferably fennel flavoured) or minced pork (add 3 grams ground fennel seed)
- 240 mls red wine
- 400 gms tomatoes, skin and seeds removed and coarsely chopped or tomato passata
- 1 pinch saffron
- 450 grams mallorredus(can substitute store bought, sometimes called sardinian gnocchi)
- 50 grams pecorino cheese, finely grated
- Add the olive oil, onion and garlic to a large sauce pan and fry over medium heat until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sausage meat and fry until coloured, about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and allow the wine to evaporate (15 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes and salt to taste.
- Cover and let cook for 20 minutes. Add a pinch of saffron and stir to combine.
- Bring to boil a large pot of salted water (5 litres of water and 50 grams of salt). Add the gnocchi.
- Boil the gnocchi until they float (6 to 8 minutes) and remove with a slotted spoon to the serving bowls.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce.
- Serve topped with grated pecorino cheese.