Pappardelle con ragú di costine di manzo (pappardelle with beef short rib ragú)
Categories: Gluten-free (use gluten free pasta), Kids, Dairy-free (eliminate cheese) If you have a slow cooker (and if you don't, then splurge on one for a mere $25) then this dish will take no time at all. I put the ribs on in the morning and let it cook all day. You can serve the ribs one day, reserving 1 or 2 and the sauce for the next day to toss with pappardelle (buy it at the store to save time and keep stress levels low). With about 10 minutes of work, you will have created 2 fabulous meals and feel like a superstar. The ribs on their own could be served with mashed potato or polenta.
Author: Woo Wei-Duan
Recipe type: Inter-regional
Cuisine: Primo (First course)
- 30 mlsextra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, rinsed, peeled, ends removed and finely chopped
- 1 onion, skin and ends removed and finely chopped
- 1 garlicclove, skin removed and finely chopped
- 150 mls red or white wine
- 500 mltomato passata
- 1 kilo beef short ribs, rinsed and dried
- 2 branches rosemary, rinsed
- 5 sprigs thyme, rinsed
- 250 gramspeeled tinned San Marzano tomatoes
- 300 grams fresh egg pappardelle or tagliatelle(can substitute dried egg pasta in a pinch)
- 30 gramsParmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
- Sea salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Place the carrots, onion, olive oil and garlic in a saute pan.
- Cook over medium heat until soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the white wine and reduce the wine until half of it has evaporated, about 5 minutes. (If your slow cooker has the sear function, then use this to cook the vegetables and reduce the wine.)
- Add this mixture to a slow cooker with the tomato passata, beef and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook on low for 10 hours (if you are pressed for time then set it for 5 hours on the higher setting).
- Remove as much fat as you can on the surface. This is even easier to do if you are making this dish in advance and can refrigerate the whole thing and remove the fat when it solidifies.
- If you are going to eat some or all of the ribs without pasta, then skip the next step. Remove the bones and shred the meat.
- Bring to boil a large pot filled with 6 litres of water and 60 grams of salt.
- Add the rosemary, thyme and crushed tomatoes to the rib sauce. Cook in the slow cooker on the higher setting for 30 minutes. If making this in a Dutch oven, cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Boil your pasta for the time indicated on the package or for 2 to 3 minutes for fresh egg pasta.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the meat sauce. Sprinkle with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and serve.
If you do not have a slow cooker, then this can be cooked covered on low in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven for about 4 hours. If you use this method, then use the Dutch oven to saute the vegetables and eliminate the need to clean another pan.