Polpette con foglie di limone (meatballs wrapped in lemon leaves) - Sicilia
We first found these meatballs in Macelleria Pennisi in Linguaglossa on Mount Etna. We grilled them at home on the barbecue and were blown away by their amazing flavour. The lemon flavour of the leaves perfectly perfumes the meat without being overpowering. Back home in the dead of winter desperate for a taste of sunshine, I tried these successfully in the oven.
Author: Woo Wei-Duan
Recipe type: Main Course (Secondo)
- 500 grams minced beef,pork or veal or a mixture of any of these
- 1 large egg or 2 small eggs
- 15 gramsbreadcrumbs
- 60 mls milk
- 10 grams flat leafparsley, rinsed, dried, leaves removed and finely chopped
- 60 grams pecorino cheese (can substitute Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese)
- 15 freshlemon leaves, rinsed and dried
- Sea salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Mix the meat, egg, breadcrumbs, milk, parsley, cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll the mixture into 5 cm cylinders.
- Roll a lemon leaf around the meatball and secure with a toothpick.
- Place the meatballs in a baking pan and bake for 15 minutes or until 65C (150F) inside. Serve immediately.