This recipe is a favourite with children the world over. We ate this dish with family friends on a scorching summer night in Modena. We dined in a town square watching the locals leaning out half naked from their windows desperate for hint of breeze. Between us we had 5 children who eagerly (and silently) gobbled down tortellini with meat sauce followed by chicken Parmigiana and declared it the best meal ever.
The crispy cheesy crust encases the steaming hot, juicy chicken breast. Some people like to top it with tomato sauce, mozzarella and/or provolone cheese, more grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and basil before they bake it in a baking dish.
Cotoletta alla Parmigiana (chicken Parmesan)- Emilia Romagna
Ideally use good quality chicken so that it remains juicy and tender rather than hard and dry. For illustrated step-by-step instructions, click here.
- 90 gramsbreadcrumbs
- 85 grams Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 chicken breasts, rinsed and dried
- 60 grams butter (can substitute olive oil)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Preheat the oven to 225C. Mix on a plate 70 grams of Parmigiano-Reggiano with the breadcrumbs.
- On a separate plate place the eggs, 15 grams of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, salt and pepper.
- Mix together.
- If the chicken breasts are thicker than 2 cm thick then place between two pieces of cling film and pound with a meat mallet to 2 cm.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Put a chicken breast into the egg mixture, turning to coat both sides .
- Place the chicken in the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat both sides. Repeat with a second chicken breast.
- When the butter has stopped foaming, add the chicken breast to the pan, 2 breasts at a time cooking until a deep golden brown, about 3 minutes. Turn and repeat on the other side.
- Place a paper towel on a plate and remove the cooked chicken to the plate. Repeat the process with the 2 remaining chicken breasts.
- Place all 4 chicken breasts on a baking tray lined with a rack and bake for about 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately while hot.
What recipes do you do that all children love?