Salsa alle noci (walnut sauce) – Liguria
Categories: Vegetarian Walnut sauce is perfectly paired with pansooti (fresh pasta stuffed with greens), tagliatelle, fusilli, penne or trofie.
Author: Woo Wei-Duan
Recipe type: Salse e Sughi (Sauces)
Serves: 650 grams
- Soak the bread in the milk for 5 minutes.
- If your walnuts are not skinned,skin them now by boiling in water for 8 minutes and then removing the skin. See an illustrated guide here.
- Squeeze the bread, to remove excess milk.
- Add the nuts to the mortar and begin to grind the nuts with the pestle. The nuts may need to ground in batches depending on the capacity of the mortar.
- Add the bread to the walnuts and grind until they are combined. Next add the garlic, salt, and pine nuts.
- Grind together until it forms a paste with a consistency as chunky or creamy as de-sired. When all the walnuts are ground, remove to a bowl and add the ricotta, olive oil, and marjoram to the bowl.
- Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon to combine. Add some milk or reserved cooking liquid from the greens of the pansotti to loosen the sauce until it is a thick slurry which is easily spreadable.
Leave a Reply