Agnello con carciofi (lamb and artichoke stew)
The combination of lamb and artichokes makes a classic spring time dish, particularly for Easter. Different versions of this dish abound where garlic is used together with or instead of onion, parsley instead of rosemary or lemon juice and/or eggs are added.
Author: Woo Wei-Duan
Recipe type: Main Course (Secondo)
- 30 mls extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, skin removed and finely chopped (can substitute 1 clove of garlic)
- 1 kilolamb shoulder, fat and silverskin removed and diced 3 cm
- 200 mls dry white wine
- 1 sprigrosemary, rinsed (can substitute 10 grams flat leaf parsley, leaves removed, rinsed and finely chopped)
- 4 artichokes,trimmed as per these instructions and quartered
- Sea salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- In a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven, heat the olive oil and the onion over medium heat until the onion is soft (about 5-7 minutes).
- Turn the heat up and add the lamb, salt and pepper, stirring to sear the outside of the meat.
- Reduce the heat to low. Add the white wine and the rosemary and cook covered for 90 minutes. (Alternatively you can use a pressure cooker and cook for 45 min at 80ph.) Add the artichokes and cook for another 25 minutes or until the lamb and the artichokes are tender. (If you are using a pressure cooker, cook for another 15 minutes.)
- Taste to adjust the salt and pepper and serve.
This can also be cooked in the slow cooker for 6 hours on high or 10 hours on low. Add the artichokes half way through cooking.