Biga is a premixed dough which is left to mature. When added to bread recipes, it gives the bread a depth of flavour, softens the texture and helps preserve the bread longer.
Author: Woo Wei-Duan
Recipe type: Ricetta di base (Base recipe)
Serves: 300 grams biga
- 5 grams fresh yeast or 2.5 grams (½ teaspoon) dry yeast
- 100 to 120 ml tepid water (depending on the humidity of the weather)
- 200 gms 00 flour
- Mix the yeast and the water and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the yeast and water to the flour.
- Mix the ingredients together to form a ball.
- Cover the ball and let sit in the refrigerator at least 8 hours or for up to 5 days. If you keep the biga longer than 2 days, add 20 grams of 00 flour and 12 grams of water every 2 to 3 days to keep feeding the yeast.