Insalata di arance, olive e finocchio (orange, fennel and olive salad) - Sicilia
We had another version of this dish when we visited Sicily where winter melon (musk melon like honeydew or casaba) was substituted for the then out of season oranges. Both versions are refreshing and palate cleansing. The version with oranges works well with fatty meats, helping to cut through the fat.
Author: Woo Wei-Duan
Recipe type: Contorno (Side dish)
- 4 oranges, preferably Navel, skin removed and cut into rounds
- 1 fennel bulb, washed and ends cut off
- 20 gms black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 small red onion, skinned, ends removed and finely sliced
- 2 pinches dried oregano
- Mix the ingredients together and serve.