Oca con mele (roast goose with apples)
When you store your goose, remove all the packaging before putting it in the refrigerator so that the skin crips nicely when roasted. The goose gets stuffed with rosemary, sage, bay leaves and apples and roasted while basted with white wine and cognac. When done, the apples are retrieved and pureed to be served alongside the roast goose. For sides, the most classic is polenta but potatoes can be roasted in the goose fat. l do a soft polenta, roast pumpkin and sautéed wild mushrooms as side dishes. I choose a slightly tart apple like a bramley to cut through the unctuous, soft goose meat.
Author: Woo Wei-Duan
Recipe type: Main Course (Secondo)
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F). Rub the goose with salt and pepper inside and out. Stuff the goose with the apples, rosemary and sage.
- Prick the skin all over with a fork.
- Place the goose on a rack in a roasting tray or pan breast side down and pour the cognac and white wine over top.
- Put the goose in the oven and roast for 1 hour. Reduce the heat to 160 C and turn the goose over and baste it. Put back in the oven and roast for another hour, basting every 20 minutes until done. Remove the stuffing and place a sheet of foil over the goose and allow it to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile puree the apples.
- Slice the goose to serve with the apples. Separate out the fat from the juices. The juices can be served with meat and the fat can be used to roast potatoes.