Bruschetta con asparagi (grilled asparagus bruschetta)
This is based on one of my favourite ways to make asparagus- grilling it with lemon zest and olive oil and then finishing it in lemon juice. The base of the asparagus is then creamed with ricotta and slathered on grilled bread and topped with the tender asparagus tips. Enjoy!
Author: Woo Wei-Duan
Recipe type: Starter (Antipasto)
- 4 slices of hearty country-style bread
- 40 mls extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 450 grams asparagus, rinsed, woody ends snapped off
- 50 grams ricotta cheese
- Sea salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- Drizzle olive oil over the bread and grill it on both sides until golden.
- Peel the asparagus stalks.
- Toss the asparagus in half of the lemon zest and olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill the asparagus for 2 to 3 minutes, turning every minute.
- Cut the tips off the asparagus, toss in the lemon juice and reserve.
- Place the asparagus stalks in a food processor with the remaining half of the lemon zest and olive oil, the ricotta cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Puree.
- Slather the bread with the creamed asparagus and top with the asparagus spears and serve.
For gluten free friends, use gluten free bread.