Torta di pistacchi (pistachio cake) - Sicilia
This recipe produces a delicate pistachio-flavoured sponge cake sandwiching pistachio cream. This is the cake I eat when I want to remember the Sicilian sunshine on my face and the taste of the sea. Pistachios grown in the volcanic earth in the tiny town of Bronte on Mount Etna are renowned for their intense flavour and bright green colour.
Author: Woo Wei-Duan
Recipe type: Dessert (Dolci)
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Prepare a cake tin by greasing it with butter and lining the bottom with parchment paper.
- To make pistachio butter, add the pistachios to a food processor or thermomix with either cream or oil.
- Puree the ingredients together until they make a smooth nut butter.
- In a mixer or bowl using a hand mixer, whip the butter with 200 grams of the icing sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, combining well before adding the next egg.
- Mix the flower and baking powder together. Add the flour mixture and incorporate well.
- Finally add 100 grams of the pistachios, combining well.
- Fill the cake tin with the pistachio mixture and bake for 30 minutes. Let the cake cool and cut in half horizontally. Use a board or cake lifter to take off the top layer of cake.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Fold in the remaining 40 grams of icing sugar and the pistachio butter to combine. Slather the pistachio cream on the bottom half.
- Add the top half of the cake back. Sprinkle icing sugar and the remaining 10 grams of ground pistachios over the top and serve.