Brodo vegetale (vegetable stock) – Ricetta di base (Base recipe)
Categories: Vegetarian, Healthy Vegetable broth is the base for soups, risottos and many other dishes.
Author: Woo Wei-Duan
Recipe type: Ricetta di base (Base recipe)
Serves: 1.2 litres
- 30 mls olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, rinsed, skin and ends removed and cut medium dice
- 2 celery stalks, rinsed and cut medium dice
- 4 carrots, rinsed and cut medium dice
- 1 leek, rinsed and cut medium dice
- 2 pinches sage (fresh or dried)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch parsley stems, rinsed
- 1 bunch basil stems, rinsed
- 10 fennel seeds
- 10 black peppercorns
- 15 grams (1 tablespoon) salt
- In a soup pot over medium heat, add the olive oil and the onion, celery, carrot, and leek.
- Sweat the vegetables until they release a bit of their juice, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sage, bay leaves, parsley stems, basil stems, fennel seeds, black peppercorns and salt.
- Add 1.5 litres of water.
- Turn the heat down to low and bring the water to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool. Keep the mixture in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve or a sieve lined with a lining of cheesecloth.
Leave a Reply