Cleaning squid is pretty simple once you learn how. Here is a step-by-step illustrated guide:
1. Pull the tentacles away from the body. Cut the top part away just under the eyes, ensuring that the hard beak is also removed from the tentacles.
2. Place your hand inside the body and pull out the plasticky quill and discard.
3. Pull out anything else in the body (reserving the ink sac for pastas or risotto dishes) and discard.
4. Rinse the squid inside and out and pull off the wings and purplish coating around the body. Discard the purplish coating.
5. Cut the squid down the length of the body or cut into rings.
6. Scrape out anything remaining inside the body using the blade of the knife and discard. The squid can be scored lightly with a knife and dried. Now it is ready the cook.